Before we can really start marketing, we need to find (or rather, build) the right place to send people.
True story: you don't want to try to send everybody everywhere.
You want to send them to one place where they can decide where they want to go next.
You could send them to your YouTube channel, but what happens if you decided you don't want to use YouTube any more and switch to a different video platform?
You'd lose most of your audience.
The same goes for your social media.
I mean, is anybody following you actively on MySpace anymore?
Don't think that Twitter and Facebook are forever.
What IS forever is your own website.
You can host that and move it around and do whatever with it as long as you want.
You can use it to update people on where you're at and what you're doing.
You need to have your own website.
(Note that if you invest in A2 hosting through the link in this email, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.)
Here's a summary:
- Get a hosting account (I use and recommend A2 because SSD's and great security).
- Buy a domain (I recommend Namecheap because they offer free domain protection which keeps your address off the web).
- Use the easy install function of A2 to install WordPress on your site.
- Find yourself a free theme (tbh the default for 2019 is pretty good).
- And then write out the content you need. About you, your video schedule, where to find you around the internet, how to contact you, etc.
That's all you need to start, but of course, there are lots of improvements that we will talk about later.
There's a section later on in this course that walks you through the entire process in detail.
If you don't already have a website, your homework tonight is to go get one.
If you do already have a website, your homework tonight is to make sure everything is up to date and you have the minimum amount of information listed above.